What we do
The Office for Access and Equity is committed to achieving and maintaining equal opportunity, diversity, inclusiveness, equal access, and equitable treatment throughout the University of Illinois at Chicago.
The Office for Access and Equity offers a variety of services to the UIC campus:
- Receives and investigates internal and external (charges) complaints of unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in education, employment, and UIC-sponsored programs and activities;
- Receives and responds to reports of violations of the Prohibition of Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct policy and conducts Title IX investigations;
- Facilitates the interactive process for faculty and staff requesting disability accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Assists with informal dispute resolution between faculty, staff, and students through confidential consultation, facilitation, and mediation services to prevent formal grievances;
- Provides leadership in assessing employee violence prevention through a team of experts and taking appropriate action;
- Collaborates in the UIC hiring process relative to Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EO);
- Assists in the recruitment and retention of women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and members of other under-represented groups;
- Conducts compliance training on Title IX, discrimination, harassment, AA/EO hiring, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other related topics.